I have been doing some reading around the Criteria of Authenticity for sayings of the Historical Jesus and find that I am now confused. It appears that, despite the fact that scholars talk about The Criteria of Authenticity as though they were an agreed list, they aren’t.
A quick search of the web came up with:
Robert H. Stein, “The ‘Criteria’ for Authenticity,” R.T. France & David Wenham, eds., Gospel Perspectives, Vol. 1, Studies of History and Tradition in the Four Gospels. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1980. pp.225-263.
- The criterion of multiple attestation on the cross-section approach
- The criterion of multiple forms
- The criterion of Aramaic linguistic phenomena
- The criterion of Palestinian environmental phenomena
- The criteria of the tendencies of the developing tradition
- The criterion of dissimilarity on discontinuity
- The criterion of modification by Jewish Christianity
- The criterion of divergent patterns from the redaction
- The criterion of environmental contradiction
View original post 333 more words