Gerson, Rev. Marks [Max?], was born in Kovno, Poland, in 1879. His father died when he was four, and his mother when he was thirteen. Up to that age he received the usual Jewish education and his elder brother kept him at school for another year, but then he had to make a start to earn his own living. [Bernstein 233]
He worked with relatives for five years, and then came to London, where the “Hebrew Christian Testimony” was instrumental in leading him to Christ. In 1898 he was admitted into the Operative Jewish Converts’ Institution, and in December of the same year was baptized by the Rev. G. H. Händler in Christ Church, Stepney.
In June, 1899, he was confirmed by the Bishop of Stepney, and in 1901 he was accepted by the Church Missionary Society for training first at Clapham Common, then at Blackheath…
View original post 175 more words