In Rikk Watts’ Isaiah class, he says that chapter 6 of Isaiah is the theological hinge to the book.
- 1.1-2.5: Introduction to Isaiah. A lawsuit is inaugurated on the basis of the Deuteronomy covenant/law code.
- 2.6-5.30: On the basis of Israel’s present condition, a sentence is given. Judgment and salvation leads to…
- 6.1-13: Yahweh’s appearing as the great King and Judge in his Temple. Isaiah is called to effect the sentence of ultimatesanction (with salvation for a remnant).
- 7.1-9.7:The sanction inaugurated:
- Syro-Ephraimite War
- Judgment is brought on faithless Ahaz and salvation is brought through Yahweh’s Davidic prince – a contrast between kingships.
So Isaiah 6 is the commissioning call of the one who will implement the sentence of judgment on Israel. The blinding, deafening, and burning are all related to judgment on idolatry. Since Judah worships idols she will become as blind as they are, “hence…
View original post 1,172 more words