I was disappointed not to go to the North American Patristics Society’ conference for 2016, but I do not regret my decision not to go this year. Here’s what not-going did for me:
- I saved about $2000-3000 dollars and 4 days worth of air travel.
- I spent some quality time with my 11 week-old daughter.
- I visited my 90-year-old grandmother.
- I made some good progress in my rapidly overgrown and overgrowing treatment of 4th century exegesis of Proverbs 8.
- I gave a presentation about my time teaching in Mongolia.
- I followed as much of the conference as I could via twitter.
- I finally had a gym bro compliment me on my strong deadlifts.
- I saved myself the abomination of drinking the american excuse for coffee.
- I heard a local paper comparing the Johannine Epistles and with Philodemus and Plutarch.
- I got to experience the very belated arrival of ‘autumn’ in…
View original post 21 more words