Here are some notes on Scott Swain’s plenary lecture at LATC 2017….
Bavinck: Dogmatic Theology is the knowledge God has revealed in his word to the church about the world and creatures as they stand in relation to him.
- Dogmatics exists because of the gospel of the glory of the blessed God.
Some concerns of Systematic Theology
- Concerns for unity – NT & OT, Theological Knowledge and other Knowledge
- Scope – all of scripture
- Proportion – science of everything, but not about everything
- Relations – between different areas of Christian theology
B.B. Warfield found that it was necessary to defend the disciplines right to exist. Barth later on concluded that “nothing we are producing now can stand with the achievement of medieval, post-reformation, etc. dogmatics”
- Though it hasn’t reached its glory days, it holds some degree of prominence again today
The recent ascendency of ST hasn’t necessarily received a…
View original post 1,049 more words