The Function of Apocalyptic
Brent Sandy says that understanding the function of apocalyptic literature is probably the most important thing about it. He says that the main thing is to bring hope in adversity. As he puts it, “The lofty heights of the [rollercoaster] ride – so unlike anything known on this earth – help the persecuted put their misfortunes in perspective.” Sandy describes the six effects of apocalyptic upon the hearers:
- It creates worshipful awe of the sovereign Lord.
- It brings hope and comfort that one day this troubled planet will be rules as heaven is ruled.
- It reminds hearers that they are in the midst of the cosmic battle between good and evil.
- It lends new courage to those under persecution and threat of death that they will be much better off one day.
- It creates an exhilarating image of…
View original post 1,282 more words